Called “a global LGBT travel expert,” I’ve spent the last 14 years in the world of LGBT travel and tourism on just every angle you can imagine: editorial, marketing, communications, product development, sponsorships, events and more.
I’m best known for my work as editor-in-chief for a 14 years of the world’s most authoritative gay travel magazines and websites, including ManAboutWorld, OUT&ABOUT, Out Traveler, PlanetOut Travel, Advocate Travel and Gay.com Travel. I’m widely regarded both for my consumer advocacy and industry leadership.
I currently wear many hats in the LGBT travel space:
- Influential editor, journalists, blogger and on-air radio personality;
- Proven marketing and communications consultant with the highly-respected OutThink Partners, a boutique marketing/communications agency, helping primarily mainstream hospitality and tourism marketers increase their share of the lucrative LGBT travel segment;
- Sought after social media expert; and
- Industry leader: I’m an elected member of the Board of the International Gay & Lesbian Travel, the leading global organization in the LGBT tourism industry, with key committee positions in development and finance. I recently helped raise $10,000 from industry partners to benefit key IGLTA programs.
My experience includes launching successful marketing, PR and social media campaigns for hotels, airlines, and destinations. Read testimonials from satisfied clients here.
Editor in chief
I’m currently editor in chief of ManAboutWorld, the world’s first and only gay travel magazine built exclusively for iPad. Download the inaugural issue here. I was editor in chief for five years of Out & About, the world’s foremost authority on gay travel during its tenure from 1992 through 2004. I was editor in chief of The Out Traveler for four years, a glossy, smart and indispensable quarterly travel magazine, considered the gay Condé Nast Traveler. I was the editor in chief of The Out Traveler guidebooks, a series of five print-based gay-oriented travel guides.
I’m currently beginning a collaboration to write a book about gay travel marketing. Hush-hush now but look for details later this year!
Other digital platforms
As editor editor in chief of Out & About, I was part of a team that launched OutandAbout.com in 1997, a very early website delivering travelguides in PDF format to individuals directly via the website, which was profitable from the day it launched thanks to the robust sales of these travelguides, later delivered in HTML format. In addition, I was in charge of the following travel websites: PlanetOut.com/travel, Gay.com/Travel, OutTraveler.com, GPS.OutTraveler.com (our travel blog) and worked closely with the editors to populate Advocate.com/travel and Out.com/travel with appropriate content.
Video, TV, Radio, Travel Shows
Working closely with members of the here! Media production team, I’ve written scripts for and provided voice over for approximately 50 travel-related videos. I have been the travel expert on a wide range of radio shows, Radio with a Twist (national show), Proud FM (Toronto), WFNX One-in-Ten (Boston) and Sirius/XM OutQ. I’ve been featured on several television shows, including In the Life (a segment on gay New York), Deco Drive (a segment on Ft. Lauderdale).
I’ve been the on-air travel expert on the Derek & Romaine show on Sirius/XM OutQ 109 since 2002.
As of August, 2010, I have been Proud FM’s travel expert on the monthly Travel Tuesday show. Find the podcasts here.
As a gay travel expert, I speak frequently including at the New York Times Travel Show, The Boston Globe Travel Expo, The Philadelphia Inquirer Travel Expo, LA Times Travel Show, One World Travel Mart in San Francisco, and other events and shows.
I’ve been working with social media since the beginning. I was the first at Here Media to integrate Facebook and Twitter into our print and digital properties (for Out Traveler). Lately I’ve been managing the social media campaigns for large festivals, including successful campaigns in 2010 and 2011 for the Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts (PIFA.org) and Wawa Welcome America.
Board Member, IGLTA
The International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association, the leading global organization dedicated to connecting businesses in the LGBT tourism industry. has over 2,000 member organizations (with over 4,000 individual members) in an astonishing 83 countries worldwide. As an elected member of the Board, I am the current Treasurer and belong to the Development, Election and Finance committees. I also work closely with the IGLTA staff on matters relating to our new consumer initiatives.
Top 5 highlights from Ed Salvato’s editorial career
- With Billy Kolber, Ed launched ManAboutWorld in 2012, the world’s first gay travel magazine for iPad only.
- Ed was editor in chief of The Out Traveler, the world’s largest magazine catering to gays and lesbians, with 220,000 subscribers.
- Ed was editorial director for all travel media at PlanetOut Inc and Regent Media, including The Out Traveler, OutTraveler.com, GPS.OutTraveler.com, Advocate Magazine, Advocate.com/travel, Gay.com/travel, PlanetOut.com/travel, and Alyson Books’ series of Out Traveler Travel Guides (printed books); and he was travel editor for Out Magazine and a contributing editor at Out.com/travel.
- Ed was editor in chief of OUT & ABOUT and OutandAbout.com which was published from 1992 to 2003. OUT & ABOUT was considered THE standard of gay travel and was the leading voice of gay travel for most of its long life. Ed helped write, edit and update over 150 travel guides which were delivered for a fee from the website OutandAbout.com.
- Ed has a regular on-air, call-in radio spot on Sirius OutQ on Sirius/XM Satellite Radio with Derek and Romaine.
- Ed speaks frequently about travel, editorial, and especially gay travel at mainstream and gay travel related events around the world.
(917) 720-3716 ♦ Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.