I am currently editor in chief of ManAboutWorld, the first and only gay travel magazine designed specifically, ground-up for the iPad. We launched in summer 2012, and we are doing really well! As of winter 2014 we have nearly 18,000 app users and thousands of paying subscribers. We sell advertising and sponsorships at a variety of price points (click here to learn more). Still we are a new business.
Neither my business partner nor myself are making the big bucks (yet:) so meantime I do very selective consulting. I’m available to help companies reach the lucrative LGBT travel segment. I can help with strategy, marketing, PR, media relations, advertorial and advise on the creation of successful press trips. We can get on the phone for an hour’s worth of advice (at a reasonable rate) or I can help create a marketing plan for you to run with. I am also an engaging, talented and sought-after public speaker on the subject of LGBT tourism/travel marketing, PR, communications, business strategy and travel safety & security.
Previous clients include:
- Atlantic City Alliance—I worked with the ACA (the folks behind the successful “Do AC” campaign) as their Director of Communications. I was primarily responsible for the creation of compelling content to get people to “do AC.” I oversaw a network of contract videographers, photographers and writers. You can see highlights of some of the work I produced here:
- Sizzle Reel
3D Chalk Fest
ACA 2013 Recap
Miss America Shoe Parada
Pro Beach Volleyball
Miss America Shopping
Welcome Home Miss America
Moment Factory AC Dreamin’
A Day in Atlantic City (timelapse)
4th of July
Sand Sculpting highlight
Live from AC Artscape
Live from AC Penns Landing
Robert’s how to get to AC from NYC under 2 hours
Don Guardian welcome
Snapshot: ACA’s annual report
- Jumeirah Essex House: premier luxury hotel in New York. Thanks to our outreach efforts and strong ties in LGBT media, the client has been named “Most Romantic Luxury Hotel” for LGBT travelers by Philadelphia Gay News and is a finalist in the “Luxury Hotel” category in the 2011 Edge Publications Travel Awards.
- Wells Fargo
- Island House Key West
- Chelsea Pines Inn
- Atlantis Events
- And other clients listed here.
- Pennsylvania Horticultural Society—I designed and executed a 4-month social media campaign for their signature annual event, the Philadelphia International Flower Show, which generates over $60 in economic activity in just under 10 days.
- Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts—managed 6-month social media campaign for $10M arts festival.
- Wawa Welcome America—managed a 2-month social media campaign for an 11-day event leading up to and including Independence Day.
- Community Marketing Inc.—co-authoring the 15th annual Travel Tourism Survey.
- Provincetown for Women—assisting in the development of a successful sponsorship package and selling sponsorships, managing PR outreach.
- Marriott Resorts Hawaii—developed successful marketing, PR, and editorial strategies targeting the lucrative gay and lesbian travel segment, including leisure, group, and convention business.
- Here Media Marketing—editorial and advertorial promoting “Everyone is Gay in Amsterdam” campaign sponsored by Netherlands Tourism.
- Iberia’s Top Gay Destinations
- EdSalvato.com—My eponymous blog that I’ve updated for several years and attracts approximately 10,000-15,000 uniques a month.
- GPS.OutTraveler.com—I edited the world’s foremost gay travel blog, which I began in 2007.
- VisitFlanders—Wrote articles on Brussels, Ghent, Antwerp, and Bruges based on recent visit for their gay travel brochure.
- R Family Vacations—Interviewed business partners Gregg Kaminsky and Kelli O’Donnell regarding the future of their business now that Kelli and Rosie O’Donnell are no longer a couple. Interview includes direct, in-person Q&A as well as video to be edited and included in online editorial package.
- Out Magazine—Wrote editorial feature for November 2009 travel issue
- Advocate Magazine—Provided editorial advice for new, incoming travel editor
- OutTraveler.com and GPS.OutTraveler.com—Created editorial calendar, oversaw writers, created original content during transition of this travel site and travel blog, respectively, to closer to the orbit of Out.com.